Feb 28

March Blog - Coach Shauny! - Accountability is the Key!

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

Accountability is Key

The good thing about our environment here is that you are never alone in your training, regardless of the program we have levels of accountability set up in your programs, for people outside of our community accountability can be hard. There is a lot of people who go in to the gym on their own. No one really knows that they are training, or what they are training for. This is can be a recipe for disaster, especially if you lack discipline, and in my experience does not usually end well. All this “knowledge” or “experience” did not just come from observations, however. I have fallen victim to having zero amounts of accountability in the past myself, and it can put a real dampener on training progress, or even lead to a cessation of training altogether.

For those who aren’t too sure, accountability is the act of being accountable. Now it does not seem like much, and some of you may be thinking “I can hold myself accountable for my own training”. Unfortunately, we are wired to let ourselves cheat, cut corners, and get away with anything but murder. Not to say you can not do it all yourself, but why make it harder for yourself? If there is any easier path of less resistance, then laws of nature dictate that things will flow better through that channel. That and it makes sense to go down the simpler, easier path, right?

So, how do you make accountability work for you? There are a number of ways that you can build an accountability network, and I’m going to list a few things off for you here. I’m sure there are plenty of other options you can investigate, but here are just a few to get you started on your way.

• FIND YOUR ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER: This is not the simplest task, but it is the first one you are required to do. You can’t just nominate anyone to hold you accountable, you need to talk to someone about being there for you properly. Someone who will hold you accountable, check in on you, but also just someone you can communicate with about how things are going. Which leads me into the next point.
  • REACH OUT TO THEM: An accountability partner is not a detective who is always on your case the whole time. They are also someone to revel in victory with, or to share the burden of defeat. Did you just have a really rough session and you weren’t really feeling it? Let them know and maybe they will offer you some kind words to bolster the spirits. Particularly after a session that didn’t seem great; an accountability partner can remind you of all you have accomplished when you can’t see it yourself and help you get right back in there. On the flip side – did you have the best session ever and smash a PB? Let them know! It is time to celebrate, reward yourself, and there’s no reason your accountability partner can’t join in on the festivity.
  • LAST RESORT… FOR SOME: I consider this a last resort, but some consider it their first. Social media is a platform where you can have hundreds of less engaged accountability partners all at once. They are not really accountability partners, but this is more like a diary where people can see each entry you put in. This is where all those gym selfies and things go to form a sort of journal of all your workouts. Unfortunately, no one will really hold you properly accountable. However, as your progress improves and changes are noted, you may get the odd comment here and there, and that can help you stay the path.

As I said earlier, these are only a few ways you can start being more accountable. If you truly want to get the most out of your training, then you need to have accountability. When it comes to smashing your goals, accountability is key.

Feb 19

Thursday Thought: PBs - Holding Yourself Accountable

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

Was that really a PB or did you let your standards slip? Hold a high standard to all movement that way you can make every increase a PB!

Feb 17

Technique Tuesday: Improving the Snatch - Part 3

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

Today we finish our series going through some tips and exercises that can help improve your Olympic Weightlifting movements. This video goes through High Hang Snatch and drops both these movements are great to help you with pulling under the bar and getting comfortable in a low catch position. As always there is no one size fits all, getting a coach is by far the best way to get the right prescription for you. Enjoy!

Feb 16

Technique Tuesday: Improving the Snatch - Part 2 Pause Overhead Squat and Snatch Balance

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

Part 2 of the series going through some key tips to help you improve your Olympic lifts! Today we focus on the Pause Overhead Squat and Snatch Balance. These two movements can help you get more comfortable in the catch! As we said last week, this wont be the fix for everyone! Get a coach to help! Enjoy!

Feb 15

Thursday Thought: Do your actions meet you goals?

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

Do Your actions match your goals, its New Year and the resolutions are running hot but is your mouth writing checks your ass cant cash? (Top gun reference for those in the cheap seats.) We go through how your actions must match your goals otherwise there is zero chance of getting there! Enjoy!

Feb 14

Using mindfulness to improve your fitness and health goals!

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

We got Coach Davo to do a blog post for our most recent newsletter this week! Here is the full article!

Anyone wanting to improve their fitness, health, and life in general, need to be aware of how much your mind and internal ‘talk’ play a really big role. This is something I didn’t realise until maybe like… 5 or 6 years into my competitive athletics career, and then even when I knew about it, I wasn’t really training my ‘internal’ body (aka mind), as much as my external body.

It has only really been in the last 2 years that I have tried to concentrate on mindfulness in everyday life and when I train. What I mean by mindfulness: non-judgmental present-moment awareness, using breathing and meditation techniques to help achieve this. How can it help? Improves focus and helps you enjoy your workout (see headspace 4 reasons below too).

There is so much information and research that supports the benefits of meditation and mindfulness for everyday life and for athletic performance (I have listed a few other articles if you’re interested, below), but for me, keeping it really simple and quick is always the best. You don’t need to sit for 20mins meditating daily, if you do, then that’s awesome! But some people find that overwhelming. You can even mediate while surfing or running. It’s about taking that time out to be quiet and let thoughts come and go without judgement.

Coach Davo’s personal tips:

• Focus on a background noise – eyes can be open – do it 2 mins to start with, then increase to 5 if you can– do this in the morning and for added benefit, write or think 3 things you are grateful for (can literally just be – I’m grateful my bed is soooo comfy)
  • When training, I always try to breathe in a rhythm depending on what exercise I’m doing and focus on my breath, especially before I start my reps, it also helps me to think about the muscle/s I’m about to use. Slowing down breathing when stretching (4-6 secs in and out) is great to finish off your session.
  • Self-talk - MAKE IT POSITIVE, but even if negative thoughts come into your head like ‘I can’t do that weight or that run, just notice them and be like ‘that’s just a thought I’m having’. This is me in my head when I’m working out ‘girl you got this, F#@* yeah smashed that one Davo, awesome you can do this, you’ve done it before….. hahahaha  etc  etc…. and when I’m sprinting – I always either count, 1,2,1,2,1,2 or if going a bit of a slower pace, 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 etc, I also swap between counting and ‘glutes, arms, glutes, arms’ as those are the two things I know I need to focus on when sprinting for my technique and to be efficient.
  • Other ways to meditate/be present – running, surfing, yoga (use youtube for yoga),
  • guided meditations and positive affirmations (on youtube or audio books) are my go to Every. Single. Day. I usually listen to positive affirmations as I fall asleep (that’s why I think I’m so awesome in the mornings.. hahaha well that, and coffee = hyper davo)
  • I have learned all that I have through so so so so many people/information/podcasts etc on the net. And people I have come across in daily life who have given me tips.

2 of many of my podcast favs:

• The Model Health Show with Shawn Stevenson – all about health, fitness, nutrition and mindset.
  • Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations - ‘You get burpees! You get burpees! You get burpees!’…………………………. (kidding she never talks about burpees, but after I listen I might just need to yell this at my classes just cos’) Oprah interviews thought-leaders, best-selling authors, spiritual luminaries, as well as health and wellness experts.

Headspace’s 4 reasons every athlete should meditate (PS – YOU ARE ALL ATHLETES)

1. Stress Reduction 2. Improved Sleep Patterns and Speeding Recovery Time 3. Enhanced Endurance 4. Improved Sense of Identity, Self, and the Body

Feb 13

Technique Tuesday: Improving the Snatch - Part 1 Addressing the Set up Position

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

Over the Next couple of weeks we have a series of Videos having a look at some common problems that can occur when doing Olympic lifting. In this series of Videos we are working with Carlie and working through some troubles that she was having with the lift. Please be aware these are not a one size fits all fix, to get the best advice for you work with a coach who knows whats going on! Enjoy!

Feb 12

Thursday Thought: New Years Training

Posted by Crossfit Maroochydore

Who's got New Years Resolutions??? Got a plan to make sure your still at it come February? Watch this video for our thoughts on how you can keep at it!